Title: How to Upload and Extract Website Files in cPanel
Introduction: In this article, we'll walk you through the process of uploading and extracting your website files using the cPanel File Manager. This is a convenient way to manage your website files without needing to use an FTP client.
- Log in to cPanel Control Panel To begin, log in to your cPanel account using the login credentials provided in your welcome email from Domain India. If you're unsure of your login details, you can refer to the Control Panel information heading in the email.
Your cPanel login page should resemble the following image:
- Access the File Manager After logging into cPanel, locate the File Manager icon under the FILES heading and click on it. This will open the File Manager user interface in a new browser tab.
By default, File Manager may load with your home directory visible. Navigate to your public_html directory by double-clicking on it.
If your public_html directory is empty, that's fine. If it contains an existing index.html file, you can either delete it or replace it with your website's new index.html and other files.
- Compress Your Website Files Before uploading your files to the File Manager, compress them into a single .zip file on your computer. This allows you to upload a single file and extract its contents later.
To create a .zip file, select your website files, right-click the selection, and choose Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder.
A new .zip file will appear in your folder, containing your selected files and folders.
- Upload the Compressed File Return to the File Manager in your browser and click the Upload button. This will open a new tab for file uploading.
Click the Select File button and choose the .zip file you created earlier. Once the green progress bar shows 100%, click the Go Back to public_html link at the bottom of the page.
- Extract Website Files In the public_html directory, you'll now see the .zip file you uploaded. Select the file and click the Extract button. A pop-up window will ask where you want to extract the files. Make sure the location is set to /public_html and click the Extract File(s) button.
After the extraction is complete, you'll see the extracted website files in your public_html directory. You can now delete the .zip file if you wish, choosing to permanently delete the file when prompted.
Your website files are now successfully uploaded and extracted in the public_html directory. You can access your new website online.
For more information on managing files in cPanel and using an online file manager, visit these Domain India Knowledgebase articles:
- Managing Files in cPanel: Uploading, Deleting, and Editing Files
- Can I upload files via an online file manager?
If you need further assistance, feel free to submit a support ticket and our team will be happy to help.