The Importance of a Hosting Reset and Proper Backup Measures in Tackling Malware and Phishing Attacks
As a hosting provider, we are dedicated to maintaining the safety and security of our clients' websites. Malware injections, spam, and phishing activities pose significant threats to website owners. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of choosing between two major options: hosting reset and continuing with the existing code after cleaning. We will also explain the associated risks and warnings for each option.
- Option 1: Hosting Reset or Factory Reset
a) Fresh Creation from Scratch with Reset
- Efficiently removes malware, injected code, and vulnerabilities.
- Restores your website to a secure state by reinstalling a fresh version of your website's content management system.
- Data loss: All files, databases, and content will be permanently deleted during the reset process. Ensure proper data backup and manual scanning for malware before proceeding with this option.
Contact our support team to request a reset if you want to create a new one.
b) Restore Your Own Local Backup
- Retain your existing data and website structure.
- Opportunity to restore your website using a clean backup.
- Re-uploading infected backups may reintroduce vulnerabilities and lead to a permanent blacklist, prohibiting you from hosting with us in the future.
- Manually scan your backup files for malware, phishing activity, and other vulnerabilities before re-uploading them to your hosting account.
To request a reset and restore using your local backup, please contact our support team.
2. Option 2: Continuing with the Existing Code After Cleaning
- Retain existing data and website structure.
- Opportunity to clean and secure your website files and databases.
- Vulnerability to future attacks: The cleaning process may not guarantee complete removal of all malware or injected code.
- Datacenter blacklisting: If your hosting or server is repeatedly compromised, your datacenter may blacklist your account, potentially leading to a permanent blacklist, prohibiting you from hosting with us in the future.
- Time-consuming and complicated process: Cleaning your website files and databases can be complex and time-consuming, and if not done correctly, may leave your website vulnerable to further attacks. If you choose this option, ensure proper care on the client side.
Importance of Proper Backup Warnings
- Regularly create backups of your data to avoid losing important files and content during a hosting reset.
- Failure to scan backups may result in the same vulnerabilities being reintroduced to your website and could lead to a permanent blacklist.
In dealing with malware injections, spam, and phishing activities on your website, it is essential to choose the most suitable option based on your specific needs and capabilities. Opting for a hosting reset ensures the efficient removal of malware and vulnerabilities, while continuing with the existing code after cleaning allows you to retain your data and website structure. However, be aware of the potential risks and warnings associated with each option, as the security of your website is ultimately your responsibility. Taking necessary precautions and being proactive in managing your online presence is crucial in safeguarding your website from potential threats.