I Can't Reach My Server. Have I Been Blocked by cPHulk?
At Domain India, we prioritize the security of your web hosting environment. Our network incorporates several safety mechanisms, including an automatic defense against brute-force attacks. This article aims to provide an in-depth understanding of brute-force prevention, how cPHulk enhances security on our cPanel Hosting, and actionable steps you can take if you find yourself locked out.
What Is a Brute-Force Attack?
A brute-force attack is a cyber attack where an unauthorized user attempts to gain access to a secure area by systematically guessing passwords. Due to the rapid succession of login attempts, these attacks are easily detectable and can put unnecessary strain on hosting services.
How Does Domain India Protect My Account?
We employ cPHulk, a robust security feature within cPanel, to shield your account from brute-force attempts. cPHulk monitors and restricts access to the following services after a specific number of failed login attempts from a single IP address:
Note that cPHulk's blacklisting doesn't affect your website's traffic or email delivery. It specifically targets the authentication modules, ensuring that malicious users cannot exploit your account.
What If I Get Locked Out?
In rare instances, you might trigger the security mechanism, causing a temporary block of your IP address. If this happens, you'll likely experience:
- Multiple devices in your office network losing email access.
- Persistent password prompts despite entering the correct credentials.
In such a scenario, our support team is just a click or a call away. Reach out to us through our support ticket system or consult our knowledge base for immediate guidance. We can investigate the cPHulk logs and unblock your IP address, provided a senior technical staff member approves.
How To Prevent Future Lockouts
Preventing future lockouts involves ensuring your devices don't send invalid login attempts. Here's a checklist:
Before We Unblock Your IP:
- Verify password settings on all desktops, laptops, and mobile devices.
- Update your email passwords within cPanel and ensure they sync across all applications.
- Configure POP accounts to check mail at intervals greater than 5 minutes.
- Disable 'interval' mail checking on IMAP-enabled devices.
After We Unblock Your IP:
- Reactivate mail applications on your desktops and laptops, observing for a few hours.
- Turn on mobile devices one at a time, waiting 30 minutes between each.
If the issue persists, we're here to help. Please consult our support resources or contact us for advanced troubleshooting options.
By adhering to these guidelines, you'll substantially reduce the risk of getting blocked by cPHulk, ensuring uninterrupted access to your Domain India hosting services.